About Me

My photo
Southwest Missouri, United States
I am a Christian homeschool mom. I have homeschooled for 18 years. I have been happily married to the same great guy for 24 years. I have four wonderful kids ranging in age from 15 to 23. I live in the beautiful Missouri Ozarks.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Not Entirely Random

I just completed a request from some of my Facebook friends for “25 Random Things About Myself”. I have been told before that I am too serious. In fact, a minister friend once said to me “Shauna, you need to get out and read a funny book.” I have a very serious side. I am passionate about the plan of God for my life and about being a good wife and mother. I am a stickler for the Word of God, and being a doer of the Word. I am very opinionated, and have strong feelings about many subjects. Because of these traits that I am known most for among my close acquaintances, I chose to chronicle 25 of my more whimsical traits. Here they are:

Everyone who knows me at all, knows my serious side. In fact, most people think that is my only side. I am actually surprisingly multi-faceted. So, here, I am itemizing some of my lesser known and more zany qualities.
1) My brother calls me a troll. " A Troll is nothing if not thorough." (Patrick McManus) She laughs trollishly. Ha Ha!

2) I prefer gnomes. Gnomes seem more friendly, they have cheery, bright red hats, and they are friends with otters. Otters are playful. Everyone otter have an otter for a friend.

3) Ice cream is a basic food group. Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite followed by Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Blue Bell is Tops! After homemade of course.

4) I like moose and loons. Does this make me looney? I like pretty much anything lodgey.

5) I really love cows. Raw milk, cheese, real butter and ice cream are all necessities. Life is about cheese, but not about blue cheese, because that is just mold. Andrew understands this.

6) Animals and children love and trust me, and they are very good judges of character.

7) I always have a dictionary and thesaurus handy. I just have to know.

8) I adore a good pun.

9) I really enjoy anything Victorian. I want a big rambling country Victorian house with a wrap around porch.

10) I also want a log cabin and lots of quilts. It must have a porch overlooking the woods, and a really comfortable rocking chair.

11) I have never outgrown toys. I would love to own a toy store. Especially an educational toy store.

12) I would like to travel all over the world. I especially want to visit Scandinavia and Europe.

13) I have frequent outbursts of singing. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't.

14) I think in rhyme, much of the time.

15) I am not very organized. I used to say this is because my father was the absent minded professor and my mom is an artist; so I missed the neatness gene.

16) Given my last statement, you wouldn't think I would be a germ freak, but I am. I like everything clean. Really, really clean.

17) I have an innate inability to mail things. I just don't get the concept.

18) I am very fond of Scottie Dogs. They make me feel positively plaid.

19) I collect porcelain shoes. There is a family story behind this.

20) I used to paint and really enjoyed it, but I haven't painted a canvas in over 20 years. I was never any good at it, but it was therapy of sorts. I intend to pick it up again when my life calms down.

21) I would like to have a hundred acres or so, and a whole menagerie of wacky animals. I really seem to gravitate toward unusual animals with little or no monetary value.

22) The older I become, the more stories I seem compelled to tell. (Much to the chagrin of my kids I might add)

23) I like cookie dough better than cookies.

24) Chocolate is no longer a vice, it is a health food. Whew! I am sure glad to know that.

25) I like about any kind of tea, but I can't abide coffee of any type.

As whimsical as I am, I really struggled to come up with all of these.

It is interesting is how much time it took me to come up with that list, and how really difficult it was for me. My close friends and family know that I can take about any experience and make it entertaining. I have been accused of thinking that I am the entertainment at family events

So why did I have such a hard time coming up with 25 things on the light-hearted side of my life? Maybe it’s because I don’t really want to talk about myself, or maybe I feel silly revealing that I have a silly side? In any event, I am sure it was a good exercise for me. And I believe that the friends who view this list will undoubtedly recover from the shock and will feel they know me better.

Every year at our church on the first Sunday of February we have what we call Vision Sunday. We spend the weeks leading up to that Sunday praying and searching our hearts. According to Habakkuk 2, we write the vision. We ask the Lord to reveal His plan and purpose for each of our lives. We write the vision of that plan for the next year. We prayerfully decide what we desire to do for the kingdom of God, and we commit ourselves to running our race.
My challenge to you is this: examine your heart and take inventory of your dreams and desires. Where are you on your life’s adventure? What have you accomplished for the Kingdom? What remains to be done? What do you desire God to do for you? Pray and allow God to direct you in His plan. He has a great plan for you. Jeremiah 29: 11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Think about that! God has good thoughts about you, and He has planned good things for you.

And while you’re at it, remember that God also has a sense of humor, and acknowledge your whimsical side.

No comments: